We should all know what it’s like when we feel ‘the light gets turned on’ when we discover our dreams and what some may call our life’s purpose. It’s as if everything is crystal clear, obstacles are mere opportunities to show strength, we feel as if our life has changed forever. 3 days later, we’re tired and discouraged about minor disruptions, our motivation may start waning and we start thinking maybe we should just stay where we are.
There is a reason why so many people fail at living out their dreams, because it isn’t all rainbows and butterflies. It’s hard work, it can be boring, it can be discouraging, it can be scary. It’s the same for everyone though and it’s about overcoming. If you feel you can relate to this, please do yourself a favour and read The Dip, by Seth Godin.
Life is hard enough with what it throws at us. For this reason I try to control everything thing I can to maintain my energy and passion. There are so many things you can do to help keep your energy consistent and it is my belief with good energy and a clear and calm mind the everyday battles become much easier. See below some things I do to maintain my energy and passion.
- consistent good sleep – I aim for 7-8 hours and keep bed time/wake time almost the same every day
- good diet and plenty of water – if you’ve got issues with your diet and not getting enough water, you are more susceptible to common illness, energy highs and lows, lack focus and mental clarity
- daily exercise – light to moderate is ideal, but just listen to your body
- Meditation and journaling – this is such a good way to start your day! You can take a step back from what’s going on and just rest, find peace and prime yourself for a good day.
- Read books and listen to podcasts, audiobooks. I find if I am filling my body with content surrounding my passion and related fields it can help me remain motivated.
- Get your Psychological sunshine. Know what makes you happy outside of your work.. For me I love tennis, golf, running, playing guitar, fishing. The list goes on haha. Having time to take your head out of your current circumstances and pressures and to just have fun is priceless!!
At the end of the day it is a personal journey we must all take, but we can get help from others and help others ourselves.